Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Today, I want to talk about one of the most important things, if not the most important things that every outdoors person should have with them, water.  I mentioned on Monday that the average man should drink about 3L of water daily and women should drink about 2.2 L daily with an non rigorous lifestyle according to the Mayo Clinic.  I'm by no means a doctor and I always recommend speaking to your doctor regarding your health because everyone is different.  This in mind I will be relating the following thoughts towards a person who is to be considered healthy and able to do physical activity.

First, before I decide to do any rigorous outdoor activities I always will drink the recommended daily amount of water to make sure I'm well hydrated before taking part in activities, usually 24-48 hours before I take my first step on the trail.  This will help me conserve the water I bring with me and make the water go a lot longer way.

Dehydration is a real thing.  We usually associate dehydration with warm/hot weather.  This is not the case.  Dehydration in the winter is equally a real thing, maybe even more as Dr. Kenefick explains:

The body is about two-thirds water, and when the total water level drops by only a few percent, we can become dehydrated. Kenefick says fluid deficits of 3 to 8 percent of body mass have been reported in individuals working in cold environments, and dehydration is a major problem with exercise in the cold.

Yet the loss of fluid from our bodies, which triggers thirst in warmer weather, does not elicit the same response when the temperatures dip. It's not simply because we don't feel hot, Kenefick says. His recent study, published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, shows that cold actually alters thirst sensation.

"Fluid balance in our bodies often relies on the stimulation of thirst, resulting in voluntary fluid intake, as well as the kidneys conserving or excreting water," Kenefick says. "This process is mediated by fluid-regulating hormones such as plasma Argentine vasopressin (AVP)."Read more: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/hydration-during-winter-sports-just-as-essential#ixzz2zYMOaAC8

 Usually as a rule of thumb when I'm on a continuous walk in weather 70 degrees or below I will drink a mouth full of water every 30 minutes.  I try to not gulp or chug water even if I'm not thirsty.  If I see myself craving water, this is the first sign of possible dehydration.  I would recommend resting for one half hour to an hour.  During your rest I recommend sipping on water every 5 minutes.  I sip because I do not want to shock my body and not have the water completely absorb in my body and just pea it out.  There are many people who take a side wither the temperature of water matters.  Personally, I've found that by sipping water it dose not matter.  Though if I were to chose water at room temperature makes most sense to me.  My thought is, if my body is already warning me of dehydration, my body dose not need ice cold water to send an eternal shock throughout my body at the same time.  In the summer my winter hydration approach changes slightly.  I usually will drink every 15 minutes to compensate for my body working against the  higher temperatures.  If I do feel lightheaded or dehydrated I make sure to shelter myself from the sun to let my body recuperate.

 When I go hiking or do a similar activity I try to bring enough water to last me a full 24 hour day.  I use these numbers somewhat loosely, because everyone's physical shape is different.  Men should have 5L worth of water in the winter and 6L in the summer.  Women should have 4L in the winter and 5L in the summer.  I would not encourage less than these numbers.   In fact I would add an extra L to be on the safe side.  If you are looking for the conversion of L to pounds it is 1L= 2.2 pounds.

The best way to stow and carry water on a hike is a camelback.  I suggest a 70 oz.(1.98L) camelback, this can run $60 and up.  The number one thing about using a camelback is filling it ONLY with WATER.  Filling the camelback system with Gatorade or other fluids will ruin the system.  There is also the option of purchasing a Camelback backpack, this can be convenient because it is useful as a backpack and useful as storage of a another back up fluid system.  The backpack systems cant range from $80-$150 for a good one.  The backpack system is nice because buying separately a camelback and a back pack can feel real awkward (save your receipt if you purchase both a camelback and a back pack in case you will have to return them.)
 
The next way to carry water is by canteen.  Canteens vary in size, color, and purpose.  The most common are 1 and 2 quart sizes (1q is just less than 1L.)  Canteens can be attached to a camelback backpack system or more efficiently to a Military pistol belt or a canteen system belt.  I would configure my water as follows for a man: 1 Camelback 70oz. backpack, 2-2qt Canteens that will be placed on my pistol belt on my hips and 2-1qt canteens that will sit between my 2qt canteens and my kidneys, with my backpack system centered in my back splitting the difference  of of the 1qt canteens.  This will give me approximately 8L, if I were to not to use the 2-1qt canteens I would be carrying about 6L. How you personalize your water system is up to you.  The rule of thumb is to carry most attached weight to your body so that the weight is being supported by your legs and not your back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment