Monday, April 28, 2014

Spring is in full swing and nature is coming to life in all its beauty.  The unfortunate few are still watching the snow and ice melt and are slowly seeing specs of green and all colors of the rainbow begin to awaken.  During this time of year I like to just venture off on trails and do some stress less hiking through trails while planning out future hikes, camping spots, hunting, and fishing holes for the up coming seasons. The reason I like doing these kinds of hikes is that (1) The weather is usually not miserable and the gear that is needed during the spring is lighter than the gear used in the winter depending on where you live.  (2)A great reason to hit the trails early is that vegetation is not lush, which makes for better maneuverability and give you the ability to scope out future places you may want to go when the vegetation comes back. There is usually just enough green either on the ground or close by trees and bushes that will give me an idea of how thick vegetation will be during the peak of summer. (3) The information of possible dangers that may be present are the most visible at this time. (4) I will answer any questions and bring up anything that happens between now and the end of May.
The next four weeks I will tackle each of the above and prepare you for an awesome spring and up coming summer!

(1) The weather is usually not miserable and the gear that is needed during the spring is lighter than the gear used in the winter depending on where you live.


First off if there is still snow on the ground and the terrain will keep you knee deep in snow I would highly recommend giving your venture one or two weeks before going out. 
If there is one thing I've learned is that it is better to be over prepared than under prepared.  Though it says spring on the calendar, mother nature does things at her own pace, so be prepared for changing weather.  The meteorologist is not always correct!  Some hikes are obvious others are not, nonetheless I would always recommend bring a laminated map of the area in which you are to embark.  I prefer a laminated map because you can use laminated markers for notes while having the option to highlight important land marks. Another cheap way to water proof your map is a gallon Ziploc freezer bag.  If you know how to use a compass this is a plus, but is not needed. 

Next to a map I make sure I have plenty of water on me.  A common question is how much water should I bring?  According to the Mayo Clinic the average man needs 3L and women needs 2.2L of water a day.  I would recommend 5L for a man and 4L for a woman at least, you must take into account the amount of physical activity that you will go through and the possibility if something goes wrong that you have enough for almost two days.  Canteens are usually attached to your pistol belt or a canteen belt kit.  Types of water storage I prefer are 2-4 canteens (Depends on the volume) and a Camelback. These types of storage are great because canteens sit on your waist and the camelpack on your center upper back, this weight distribution shifts the weight to the center of your bodies gravity where your legs and not your back dose all the work.  I also will drink the recommendation of water to be hydrated 24 hours before I even go on my hike.  This will leave me drinking less water on my hike.

After water I recommend bringing at least one self made meal along per person.  I also recommend packing peanuts, fruit, and vegetables.  When I'm on a long hike I like to bring sunflower seeds, gum, salt tablets, and maybe an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat.)
The next necessity is either a hatchet or a knife, or both.  If I had to choose between carrying a  hatchet or knife I would choose a hatchet, due to its upside for survival qualities.

I always get the question, "how do I dress when hitting the outdoors?"  My answer is always the same, "dress so that you will not sweat under your clothes."  Then you pack cooler and warmer layers in your backpack or butt-pack.  In addition I recommend packing a poncho (for warmth) and a poncho liner (stay dry) in case you get rained on or you have to shelter yourself from heavy moisture (rain, sleet, snow).  It is possible to use your poncho and poncho liner to pitch up a shelter and to also shade yourself from the beating sun.
Other gear I would recommend is a waterproof flashlight, waterproof matches and a first aid kit.  The weight of water will equal (5L or 11lbs for a male and a female 3L about 5lbs.) The rest of the gear will weight in about another 10 pounds or less; that leaves us with about 15-20 pounds of basic gear to cover most bases.
Through the week I will go into more detail, stay tuned and please share your experiences and ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment