Friday, May 2, 2014

Monday, I touched on what type of clothing I like to wear and what other clothes to pack.   I always dress so that you will not sweat under your clothes. I tend to always recommend long pants and long sleeve top, either being a jacket, fleece, or long sleeve shirt appropriate for the weather and terrain that you will be encountering.  I like wearing long sleeves in ALL weather, because long clothes protect from branches, twigs, insects, and to help regulate body temperature to name a few.

When I was in the Military and I went out to the field besides my weapon and water I never left without my poncho and poncho liner.  How did this come about you may ask?  When I was in basic training the Drill Sargent gave everyone in my platoon the option to purchase a poncho (woobie) for our first night mission.  Out of 50 men I think 5 purchased one, I was not one of them.  That night was the second coldest night of my life.  Eventually, the guys that did purchase a poncho liner did wind up sharing (I think we fit between 5-10 under one poncho), if you left the warmth of the poncho for any reason, good luck reclaiming your spot! The amount of warmth the poncho gives is unbelievable.   Need less to say everyone bought one the next time we were given the chance.

Back on topic shall we?

The poncho liner can be used as shelter from the wind and the sun.  Poncho liners have tie downs which can be used to tie on to branches, bushes, or anything else you can come up with to make a sturdy shelter.  I've read about Rangers going through phases and going to sleep soaking wet, wrapping themselves in a poncho liner and coming out dry, because the liner traps in the body heat and lets the moisture escape.  I've never tried it, but in extreme circumstances I would use it as a last resort. I also recommend purchasing a waterproof bag to put all your clothes in so that if it rains or your fall into water, your clothes will stay dry.  A waterproof bag can also be used as a flotation device in the water (as long as the bag is sealed correctly.)

Next, I recommend a waterproof flashlight.  These flashlights will run $10-$25, there are more expensive lights, so how much you spend is up to you; I just make sure that the light source is halogen.  Halogen lights last thousands of hours and are very dependable.  Packing an extra set of batteries would be a good idea too.  Waterproof matches are also a smart idea.

A first aid kit is a smart idea when heading out to the backwoods.  First Aid kits come in many shape and sizes and should be targeted for the environment being entered.  That said a basic first aid kit will run $15-$30.  I like to make sure there are tape, adhesive bandages, absorbent compress dressing, hydro-cortisone ointment packets, scissors, and antibiotic ointment packets, to name a few.  If you have any medical conditions or at risk of certain health issues, these should be included into into your kit. Many kits come in a hard plastic cases, I will at times put the items in a waterproof bag so that space in my traveling pack (back pack) would be used efficiently.

I like to pack is a hatchet with a blunt end.  Yes, knives are great, but if I were to choose between knife and a hatchet it would be a hatchet.  Hatchets, are good for chopping, cleaning animals, building, pounding, protection, to name a few.

Lastly, don't for get to pack a hat (appropriate to the weather) and sunglasses.  A hat will both keep the heat of your body in and protect your face from the sun and other weather elements.  Sun glasses are great too. Sun glasses protect your eyes from the sun (obvious), dust particles, insects, and the wind. 

There are many types and configurations of clothing and gear that a person uses for the outdoors, but that is up to the individual(s).  This post is what I would recommend as a good first step to be prepared for your outing.  I'd love to hear what you think.  Do you need anything explained more thoroughly?  Did I miss something?  Please chime in! 

Unplug and get out doors!

No comments:

Post a Comment